I came across this amazing recipe for Apothic Dark Red Wine Cake from Chasing Delicious.
Apothic Dark Red Wine Cake
- 6 ounces flour
- 2 ounces cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 14 ounces vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup sweet red wine (try Apothic Dark)
- 1 cup cinnamon red wine sauce, recipe below
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour or grease a bundt pan. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then the vanilla, mixing well after each addition.
- Add half of the dry mixture and mix in well. Pour in the wine and mix in well. Add the rest of the dry mixture and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out just clean.
- Let the cake cool upright in the pan for a few minutes. Turn the pan over on a rack, and let it cool completely before unmoulding.
- Before serving, drizzle on a little cinnamon red wine sauce.
Cinnamon Red Wine Sauce
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 cup sweet red wine (try Apothic Dark)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place all of the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan.
- Heat the mixture over high heat and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally, maintain a boil until the sauce is thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
Vanilla Sugar: Both recipes in this article contain vanilla sugar. While not readily found in stores, vanilla sugar is easy to make. Save any spent vanilla beans after using. Place the vanilla bean(s) in an airtight container with sugar (I usually do 2 cups sugar per vanilla bean). Store in the container, tossing and stirring occasionally, at least 2 weeks before using.