Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, how about making your love or yourself some Red Wine Lollipops. I found this recipe via Pinterest, which direct me to Sprinkle Bakes: Red Wine Lollipops website. The site has some amazing recipes for any of you foodie’s
Red Wine Lollipops Recipe:
Yield: About 12 lollipops
- 1 1/2 cups sweet red wine -wine should be no more than 18% alcohol by volume (I used Port)
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 12 Lollipop sticks
- A hard candy lollipop mold or a silicone mat
- Bring red wine to a simmer in a small saucepan. Simmer wine until reduced to 1/3 cup, this should take about 20-25 minutes. Remove from stove-top and let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and wine reduction. Stir until combined. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally with a heat-proof spatula until all sugar granules have dissolved. Boil until candy temperature registers 298-310 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and fill greased lollipop molds with the hot candy. Place lollipop sticks in the stick crevices and rotate until the stick is coated in the hot candy. Alternatively, you may also drop the hot candy from a spoon onto a silicone mat or parchment paper, making two to three-inch disks and leaving room to place -and rotate- the lollipop sticks.
- Allow the lollipops to harden completely. These are best if you wait a day to consume them, as this gives the red wine flavor plenty of time to develop.
- Embellish with luster dust if desired and store between sheets of parchment in an airtight container